if i haven't checked, i wouldn't have known that i possibly won't be able to vote this coming 2010 election. my registration status in comelec's precinct finder tool says deactivated. according to section 16 of the rules and regulations on the resumption of the system of continuing registration of voters in the non-armm areas, the following are the grounds for deactivation:
1. those who have been sentenced by final judgment to suffer imprisonment of not less than one (1) year, such disability not having been removed by plenary pardon or amnesty. provided, that any such person shall automatically reacquire the right to vote upon the expiration of five (5) years after service of sentence as certified by the clerk of court of the municipal/municipal circuit/metropolitan/regional trial courts or the sandiganbayan;
2. those who have been adjudged by final judgment of a competent court or tribunal of having committed any crime involving disloyalty to the duly constituted government, such as rebellion, sedition, violation of the firearms laws, or any crime against national security unless restored to their full civil and political rights in accordance with law; provided, that such person shall automatically regain his right to vote upon the expiration of five (5) years after service of sentence;
3. those declared by competent authority to be insane or incompetent;
4. those who did not vote in the immediately preceding two (2) successive regular elections as shown in the voting records.
the preceding two (2) successive elections, for purposes of may 10, 2010 elections, refer to the may 14, 2007 national and local elections and october 29, 2007 barangay elections;
5. those ordered excluded from the list of voters by the court; and
6. those who have lost their filipino citizenship.
last day of registration is on the 31st of october. i hope i still have enough time to correct this because i certainly don't want to nullify my right to vote, especially that election's going to be automated. maybe you should too. check your comelec registration status here: http://www.comelec.gov.ph/findprecinct/findprecinct.aspx